Monday 12 October 2009

New Job - first week went well

My first week at my new job has been fantastic. It looks like a role where I can get lots of valuable professional-type experience.

My first two days were the usual whirlwind of trying to learn names and tick boxes on induction and training forms. I've already been given some interesting projects to work on. I've been cataloguing new stock, helping students with their homework and we've done a book move.

The college uses the Eclipse LMS which is a bit quirky but easy enough to use. On Eclipse there is a 'Linked' function where similar items can be linked to one another to recommend them to the user. I've been given the ongoing task of linking items - for me it's a dream project! I've been busy on the fiction section.

I've taken over the journals which is fantastic. The college has an interesting set up of having five faculty Study Centres staffed by Learning Mentors as well as the central LRC. Most of the journals are stocked in the Study Centres, so each day I'll be visiting the Study Centres to drop journals off and hopefully learn more about how they work.

I'm doing academic liaison for two of the faculties: Humanities and Business & IT. At first I was a bit disappointed not to have got Creative Arts, but it'll be great getting experience in different areas.

It's really exciting to be in a small institute and a small team where it's possible to make changes. My manager is new to the institute as well and is keen on discussing ideas and trying new things.
At her request I've designed and implemented a new spreadsheet and procedure for recording student usage. We have a signing in sheet rather than having an automatic gate counter. She's really nice as well which is always good.

So far, so good! Let's hope it stays this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment