Tuesday 27 October 2009

Half term

As it's half term this week we're only open to students on three days - we only had one student in yesterday. I'm the only member of staff in the library because everyone else has leave or is term time only.
It's good to have the chance to get on with projects that are difficult with students in. I'm putting up some information skills displays to tie in with workshops we'll be running after half term. Yesterday's 'Evaluating websites' display looks good, but I'm having a few problems trying to make a display on bibliographies look appealing to 16-19 year olds! And I'm going to paint some shelves this afternoon (don't ask).
We're starting a student volunteer programme after half term which I'm going to be very involved with. I've written some training notes and am working on creating a certificate that they'll receive after completing 10 hours with us. I'm trying to make it seem grown up so that we'll only get serious students. I'm aware that I don't want to give students cause to believe that in a few hours of volunteering that they are able to do our jobs so I'm going to avoid letting them use the LMS. Beyond the fact that it is bad for our professional esteem/profile within the college, it could give someone higher up the idea that perhaps the library could cope with less staff and more volunteers - which is not the case. Hopefully I'll get some time later this week to do some more research and planning on this.
Also, I keep forgetting that I'm still waiting for my final MSc mark, then remembering and feeling a bit queasy! We should get them in a month..

No comments:

Post a Comment