Tuesday 6 October 2009

CILIP Graduate Day 1st October 2009

I would really recommend the next one of these for people who are considering entering the profession, considering qualifying or possibly are in the process of qualifying. CILIP possibly could have been clearer about what type of graduate this was aimed after - first degree grad not library school grad - but nonetheless.
I attended two talks. Emma Illingsworth gave an interesting talk about the different skills required for librarianship, the different types of users in different sectors and how to market your services to those user groups. It involved lots of brainstorming and discussion in small groups.
The second talk was by Jo Alcock about promoting yourself and networking through microblogging, blogging and social networking. Again this was really interesting. At the moment I'm spending a lot of time thinking about micro/blogging and the netiquette involved. As a novice twitterer I'm always concerned about replying promptly, RTing without plagiarising, being friendly without being overfamiliar etc. I'm also wracked with e-shyness. Jo said some interesting things about branding yourself - I'm going to do some work on customising this.

1 comment:

  1. It's good you'd recommend the day, it was my first experience too and it was great to see such a mix of people there.

    Glad you found some of what I talked about useful! :)

    ReplyDelete