Monday 1 February 2010

Library Day In The Life - Day 4 and 5

Only just had time to do this between life and work and being ill....

Thursday was a bit saner. I opened the library at 8.30 and did my usual morning tasks (stats, journals etc). One of the work experience students was half an hour late so I started his day by telling him off. I then had to explain to them why the labelling they'd done yesterday needed to be redone. In fact I spent much of the day supervising and motivating them. I had created a rota for the them which I adjusted several times throughout the day. As the level of their abilities became clearer I became more able to anticipate how long tasks would take and what they would be able to do. As with the usual student assistants this is also a test of my communication skills... and my patience!

I made some headway on the keywords and on compiling a list of recommended websites for the faculties that I am responsible for academic liaison for (Humanities and Business & ICT). The keywords are going to take a lot longer than I originally thought - I had ambitiously thought I'd get them done by Easter ha!

Thursday night I went out for dinner with my friend in Soho. Looks like this was a mistake as I spent half the night being sick.

Managed to pull myself together to get into work an hour or so late on Friday and leave an hour or so early. I didn't take a lunch break because there was no way I could eat.

I didn't achieve any of the things I had intended upon achieving today but I did fulfill my job description - serving on the circ desk, supervising the space etc - and at least I was able to cover lunchbreaks. In our library we only ever have three members of staff working leaving us with at least a half hour window in the busiest time of the day where we only have one member of staff working.
Fortunately I'd already planned for the work experience students to spend the day with a member of LRC staff who was putting up a display for LGBT History month so I didn't have to supervise them.
I was also keen to go in to see a publishers rep who didn't turn up!

No comments:

Post a Comment