Friday 4 December 2009

A Week In the Life - Wednesday

Started work at 9, did my usual tasks (stats, journals etc) while on Circ Desk then started on some admin tasks. Had a good look through my work for Friday and Monday to work out how I'm going to get everything done before I go on leave (I'm going to the Berlin Christmas Markets from Friday-Monday). Looked through the Info Skills presentations that'll we'll be doing next week to check all hyperlinks work. Rescheduled the 6 Book Challenge talk that was missed yesterday for next Tuesday. Finally got our secure LRC staff area set up in the All Staff shared drive - up until now we've been storing work on USB sticks or in our own areas. Have discovered that our IT department respond well to the promise of Fruitellas :)

Spent about 20 mins working one-to-one with a student helping him with his English coursework. This isn't strictly part of my job, but I'm happy to help if I have the time and it's a subject that I'm confident with.

At 11.15 I had a slightly belated induction meeting with the principal and a few other members of staff that started since September.

I left work at 1 and went down to the Online Information Show at Olympia. I was a bit disappointed with it this year to be honest as there was a lot of content management and hardly anything for education. Although I did have an interesting chat with British Standards so I hope they send me some info on their free resources. I also had a chat with the lady at the CILIP stand about chartering - I've been advised to send a CV of what I do in my role as there is some uncertainty whether I qualify to charter. My role doesn't require a library qualification but I undertake work that is usually done by qualified librarians so there is a slight grey area. Hopefully I'll get that done on Friday when I'm on leave.

In the evening my team had a bowling match: I won one, lost one. Not that happy with my own overall pins scores, but it was good to see my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment